- Extra clothing for warmth (wool or synthetic pile) and rain protection. Severe storms and freezing weather can occur suddenly, even in summer
- Extra food for an unexpected bivouac.
- Drinking water.
- Sunglasses and sunscreen.
- Pocket knife.
- Matches (or butane lighter) and fire starter.
- First aid kit (what you bring is all you can count on).
- Flashlight with spare batteries and bulbs.
- Map of the area.
- Compass with straight edge.
Also day pack, whistle, watch, food, chapstick, and toilet paper.